The Red Arrows will fly with fewer aircraft for most of their displays as the RAF seeks to preserve the famous aerobatics team's ageing fleet.
Pilots will fly in a nine-aircraft formation for King Charles III's birthday flypast in June and one month later to help the US mark its 250th anniversary of independence but they will fly with seven aircraft for other events from this year.
The current fleet of Hawk T1s - which have been flown by the Red Arrows since 1980 - is due to be retired in 2030, with spare parts less readily available.
An RAF spokesperson said scaling back would "support the sustainable management of the fleet and prepare the team for a transition to a future aircraft type".
The Red Arrows are used to display the force's military capabilities and help with recruitment. They do not engage in combat or active military operations.
Last year, Defence Secretary John Healey said there was "no threat" to the future of the team despite the current March 2030 retirement date for the fleet.
Former minister for defence procurement Maria Eagle said last year that the annual cost to maintain the aircraft was £27.7m.
In a statement on Friday, a RAF spokesperson said the iconic team was known globally for "world-class precision, speed, and teamwork".
They added that pilots "will operate with seven aircraft, continuing to deliver high quality engaging displays at airshows and events across the UK, mainland Europe and further afield".
There are at least 40 displays planned for this year.
The Red Arrows have previously flown with seven aircraft, including in 2012 and 2022.
A British aerospace company that had been developing a replacement for the Hawk T1s went into administration last week.
Aeralis had pitched itself as the only British firm able to supply a new advanced jet trainer that would be designed and built in the UK.
Administrators said the company had faced "a sustained period of pressure" on its cashflow after "continued delays to the UK Defence Investment Plan, combined with geopolitical factors affecting sources of funding".
In response, a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "The fast jet trainer programme is ongoing and no final procurement decisions have been made."
Last year, the UK government's Strategic Defence Review recommended that the Hawk T1s should be replaced by a "cost-effective, advanced trainer jet".
The review suggests that MoD procurement should prioritise British businesses to benefit the UK economy.
Aircraft offered by BAE Systems, Leonardo and several other companies are also considered to be contenders to replace the Hawk T1s but no decisions have been made.
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj9p8rvl0d0o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
World
Red Arrows to fly with fewer jets to preserve ageing fleet
Article Top Ad Zone
Article Middle Ad Zone
Article Bottom Ad Zone
Original Source: www.bbc.com
Share
Comments
Comment system is currently disabled.